St. Louis Cardinals 2011 thread

All non-fantasy Baseball related discussion

St. Louis Cardinals 2011 thread

Postby suckerpuncher » Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:42 am

suckerpuncher

Re: St. Louis Cardinals 2011 thread

Postby WinnipegWingnut » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:29 am

Been reading all over twitter while searching for the goalies that Big Al might just test the market! To me if they lose Pujols then they aren't the team that can win it all.
WinnipegWingnut

Postby suckerpuncher » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:38 pm

The first Spring Training game hasn't even started yet and it looks like the season is already down the drain.

It's one thing there's no new deal with Pujols since there's still time after the season is over to negotiate a new deal.

But losing Wainwright already for the year to Tommy John surgery is a real blow. You just can't replace one of the top pitcher over the course of the last couple of years.

Even with Waino in the lineup it would have been a tough batlle with the Reds and even the Brewers but now the chances to win the NL Central got very slim.
The only good thing if they don't make the playoffs is the fact that they got more time to excluivly talk with Pujols to get a new deal done all the time from the last regular season game until the WS is over.

But then again there are 162 regular season games left and a lot of things can happen.
suckerpuncher

Postby suckerpuncher » Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:21 am

Ooooops, my bad. :D

Who would have thought that a season that started out that bad would end up like this. World Champs.
11 in '11.

Bill, I can only imagine what's going on with you and the city right now. The whole city is probably literally painted red for the foreseeable future. And you yourself must be absolutely crazy about this outcome.

And is there already a David Freese statue downtown? What a performance especially in Game 6 and rightfully the MVP.

How about 12 in '12? :mrgreen:
suckerpuncher

Postby MrHockey93 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:56 am

MrHockey93

Postby dbacksfan414 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:20 pm

The Rasmus trade really helped them out. When I saw the trade, I knew the Cards would benefit in the short term, but they'd lose badly in the long term. Rzepczynski (or however you spell it), Dotel and Jackson were big pieces to that team that helped them have a chance at the playoffs in the first place. You also have to credit the Braves for s****ing the bed over the last month.

Congrats to the Cards. What a wild ride for them, and they didn't even have Wainwright this season.
dbacksfan414

Postby suckerpuncher » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:57 pm

Seems like the Cards mojo made it all the way to the Rams yesterday. And this win wasn't even the biggest upset of the week in St. Louis.
Did you went to the game or to the parade? Or both?

But the stunner is that TLR decides to retire. Of course it's nice to go out on top but still it's hard to see him go right now when it looks like the team may have some more WS runs in them.
But it would be a fitting end of his great HOF career.

Reminds me a bit of the Red Wings situation a couple of years ago when Scotty Bowman decide to retire for good during the clinching game of SC final.

But still there's time to make TLR change his mind.

Makes one wonder what will happen to Dave Duncan and of course how much this will impact Pujols decision to stay or to go. If he stays he'll probably have some input in who to make the new manager and if he leaves the new manager have a tough quest ahead of him in defending the title without Pujols.

Edit:
Maybe TLR should really wait another before he retires.

If not the first time eligibles for the HOF class of 2014 would be:
Tony La Russa
Bobby Cox
Joe Torre
Tom Glavine
Greg Maddux
Frank Thomas

Wonder who wouldn't make the cut.
suckerpuncher

Postby MrHockey93 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:24 pm

Didn't make it to the Rams game, but the parade was fun.

I couldn't believe TLR retired. Makes me wonder if this was a ploy to take the WHite Sox job, but he "seems" sincere about his retirement.

Dave Duncan will probably retire or take a year off to be with his wife, who has a brain tumor. The players and TLR begged him to come back in that final series against the Astros as he was on a bit of an extended leave of absence at the time.

Pujols stays, I feel, no matter what. I just can't imagine him playing anywhere else. I would be shocked if he left.

The Big Hurt won't get in right off.. Pretty strong class of HOF's, though.
MrHockey93

Return to Baseball Discussion