Lockouts

All Other Sports Discussion

Lockouts

Postby dbacksfan414 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:53 pm

With the NBA lockout starting in about five hours and the NFL season in question, will more people start to watch hockey? I don't want a whole bunch of unknowledgable people watching, but this is a golden opportunity for the NHL.
dbacksfan414

Re: Lockouts

Postby nyihater4life » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:23 pm

dbacksfan414 wrote:With the NBA lockout starting in about five hours and the NFL season in question, will more people start to watch hockey? I don't want a whole bunch of unknowledgable people watching, but this is a golden opportunity for the NHL.

Isn't the casual fan already unknowledgeable? We want any kind of fan watching, whether they are new to the sport or not. You can't limit the fan base.
nyihater4life

Postby Arkubis » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:47 am

Bettman has a way of fucking up golden opportunities... unfortuneately. However if the NHL is one of the remaining 2 of the big 4, I don't think even he can screw it up that badly to not see a huge increase in interest. Hell, just the gamblers from the NFL will be a massive boost for the NHL.
Arkubis

Postby WinnipegWingnut » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:14 am

For sure there will be new fans, but this morning TSN is reporting a deal in the NFL is almost complete, but even just basketball off would help alot.
WinnipegWingnut

Postby Arkubis » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:05 pm

Well to be honest, the #1 competition is Basketball. There is no way you can compare the NHL to the NFL... it's just a different animal. However the NBA playoffs matchup side by side with the NHL's as well as the entire regular season so it would certainly help. I really wish they would get rid of the gnome in charge though.

I doubt we see either sport miss a season though. Everyone realizes the insane amount of money that both sides lose in a lost season, I doubt we see another for a long time. Full season lockout that is.
Arkubis

Postby WinnipegWingnut » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:15 am

Arkubis wrote:Well to be honest, the #1 competition is Basketball. There is no way you can compare the NHL to the NFL... it's just a different animal.

I'm definitely not comparing them, but, those fans are going to be jonesing for some kind of sport action, and assuming they like contact sports the NHL would be the best alternative for them when it comes to professional leagues. Clearly college and maybe the CFL are better options, but I could see the NHL gaining new fans should the NFL discussions fall through.
WinnipegWingnut

Return to Sports Discussion